Saturday, February 21, 2009

cancer is like the roach of illnesses

Just when you think you've gotten to a good point in your own personal journey with cancer, you hear about other people, who's illness grabs them from the loving arms of life and pulls them into eternity.
Just yesterday, a friend of mine told me her daughter's boy friend's father had died from some crazy, liver, bile duct some kind of f-ing cancer. He had only become sick three months ago. A live, 55 year old healthy man. Dead. Same illness as my friend Maureen King who's memory will live tattooed to my brain for the rest of my life. A kind, loving, beautiful and healthy woman of 47, grabbed the same way as this healthy man, dead within 3 months of becoming ill. There has to be something globally responsible here. This cancer that has killed my friend Maureen, my friend Walter, my friend Cathy's husband Frank, was only prominent in Asia until recently. What's happening. Are we importing Cancer now along with all the other things, stuff and possessions that we have to fill our houses, our bellies and our lives with? Lots and lots of stuff....... to fill our lives?
I'm tearing up now, because another friend's husband lies near death from another, unrelated but strange cancer. Who knows how or why he is subject to this hostile takeover of his body.
We give it our best shot in this life, but sometimes it's not enough to keep us here on this plain. For some reason, something is pulling us to jump up or to jump down. Karma is coming after us. It wants us to graduate or to flunk.
My personal journey goes on...... I go get chemo, I go to work, I come home and spend wonderful times with my husband, son's, family and friends. I try and make all of my moments good ones, to do good things for the people who surround me, to do good deeds and help other's less fortunate than me, but cancer just stays there, hidden away in the shadows of my life.
Truly, I know life is not just fun and love and joy and happiness. Heartache, work, pain are always somewhere nearby.... I'm not Polly Anna about life. But I do wish, some of this shit would just hit the road and never come back. When will science catch up and take care of us?
Perhaps cancer is like the roach of illnesses. We've been trying forever to resolve the infestation of roaches.... but they seem to get stronger and more difficult to control. Kinda like this disease...................................................................................

1 comment:

  1. I hear you Jeanne.
    I have one of those mysterious, Upper GI, can't figure it out but it looks goll darn deadly cancers too. For me it's been over a year, but lately pain has been added. Scary awful nasty.
    I hope yours goes well. Let's hope for us all.
    Patti

    ReplyDelete