Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Beauty of Chemo Vacation

So, at the end of May or beginning of June, after I had had my scans and markers repeated, the scans basically showed a "stable cancer" whatever that means, and a slight increase in my markers. Startlingly, my oncologist gave me a month off of chemo!! I was shocked. It's been 2 years on chemo and she felt I needed a break, rather, my body needed a break. So, at the end of June, I go for my check up and I get another month off, WOW. The drew blood and flushed the cute little bump in my chest otherwise known as my PORT, and sent me on my way.
At this point, I'm still exhausted, bones, joints, muscles still hurt quite a bit, but it can be managed. I contacted my friend Sue, she was off chemo on a vacation last year for 6 months. I wanted to know what to expect. She told me I might start feeling human again after about 3 months. She said she loved the next 3 months after that and lived like her old self. She's back on chemo now, but she said she loved the land of remission and being off chemo. God Bless Sue. She has been such a Godsend to me.
There were 3 really nice women I met at Gilda's and Sue was one, Audrey was another and Alice was the third. Audrey had been on chemo for a very long time, she was permanently disabled and was on all sorts of medications. She was a love, sweet and kind, very smart in the world and works of a cancer patient. She passed away last month. Awful..... such a tender and loving woman. Then there was Sue, very very smart Nurse Midwife. She was not working when I met her, also on permanent disability, but she decided to do a little bit of work in a women's center while I was still at Gilda's regularly. Sue continues to be in my admiration. Smiles, laughs, cries, teaches. I really love her for all she has done to help me understand this disease process although ours are very different types of cancer. Alice is the third. Quiet, timid, but very curious about what could be done for her and her very rare cancer. She would be given options but then couldn't decide whether to do them or not. She's still hanging in the last I heard.
I think one of the most powerful things I've learned lately is the impermanence of things including peoples lives. Of course every cancer patient thinks about death. It happens almost every day...... but you try to keep your eyes fastened to the horizon..... that you'll see another sunrise or sunset today.
Peace. Jeanne

3 comments:

  1. so because of some rather screwed up computer thing (changed my email address) the blog is not identifying me as the blogger, but it is in fact me. I have been living the life of reilly for the last 3 months off chemo. Gaining weight, which is never good for me, went through CHEMO WITHDRAWL, which I was not expecting at all. Pain in the bones, joints and muscles. Damn bad stuff. I was suffering a lot and didn't even know about that. But, happily I have a fourth month off chemo. The fatigue is on and off , the pain is also on and off now.... I can tolerate it. Wont' be rescanned until November, unless my markers go crazy. Work is trying to kill me....... what else is new.
    I'm so please there are good things going on with Mission Remission. I hope we will collect money for very good causes.
    Must sleep now.
    Have a wonderful night everyone.
    Peace Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeanne!
    I've been on "chemo vacation" too, so much so I haven't blogged in MONTHS! It IS nice to feel sorta normal. I get re-scanned at the end of the month, so perhaps it will continue. I'm not in remission... nothing has shrunk... but they are now saying I'm 'dormant' dontcha love it?
    Best of luck to you and you are in my thoughts.
    patti

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello again Jeanne! Have you gotten scanned again yet? I did, and the suckers grew a bit, so I'm back on chemo - a new oral one called Nexavar. It's the pits! Hope you can get back on your blog, or please go to mine and say hello? Sending you good thoughts.
    patti

    ReplyDelete